Thursday, March 4, 2010

J-Horror


J-Horror

Kwaidan: Stories and Studies of Strange Things

The only J-Horror story that I have been familiar with before reading this was The Ring, but that was only the American version. So my knowledge of the subject was pretty limited. In all honesty, I never felt that I would want to read or view any of it. After reading Kwaidan any of the negative views I might have had towards the genre changed.

Each of the stories completely drew me in because of the different way the Japanese have went about telling a story and dealing with the ghosts around them. Its different than American stories because I feel in our culture we have come to depicting anything that isn’t us as bad, well for the most part anyways. The Japanese seem to approach it as the ghosts are here and if they are good or not doesn’t matter so just deal with it. In my opinion this was a lot better and adds something different to the stories. Actually for me this kind of creeped me out a bit more than any American ghosts stories I heard growing up. This book is great read and has given me the interest to search out more J-Horror titles whether they are book or film.

No comments:

Post a Comment